Tuesday, April 15, 2008

A long night!!

I made it through my first night of work. It was a tearful drive in, but once I got there, it was back to the grind again. I remembered how to be a nurse, and God blessed me with a wonderful but busy group of patients. I love my little old ladies!! It was fun to see everyone and share pictures of our chunky Monkey!! I was steady busy. Not enough to feel like I was drowning, but enough to keep my mind off home. I was able to pump 3 times. I thought this was enough, but I was sadly mistaken when I got home.

Unfortunately, my MIL had heated up a bottle right as I walked in the door because little man was starting to wake up. I went to go wake him up, and she beat me there because she wanted to make sure he was okay with her in the morning. I love her dearly, but any other morning this would have been fine...not my first morning after going back to work. I wanted and needed to see his sleepy little smile. Then she started to feed him the bottle before I had an opportunity to set all my stuff down and love on him. I felt like my boobs were going to explode. I was able to get him to eat a little off me, but by then, my right boob was engorged. I couldn't get my milk to let down. Instead of laying down and getting some much needed shut-eye with my little man, I spent an hour and a half unblocking my boob....a hot shower, heating pad, warm compress after warm compress, multiple pumping attempts, and not so comfortable boob massage....ahh finally relief in the form of milk filling up my pump bottle. That's something I don't care to have happen ever again.

It wasn't such a good night for my husband. He got about 2 hours of sleep because the little man was not a happy camper. He had gas cramps really bad which made him cry. This in turn leads to more air swallowing and a longer and longer night. I feel bad for both of them. Frustrations were high. The "I" in CONSTRUCTION that I have spelled above his crib is missing because it fell off the wall when the door got slammed. Yikes!! I feel sorry for my husband because he didn't have any relief. It's gotta go up from here for him though. The nights will get better!!

All-in-all, it was a good night for half the party! We survived and that's what matters. We're living and breathing to tell about it. And I was able to get a 3 hour nap today with the little one....even though I had to convince him to keep napping by bringing him to bed with me. Oh well....you do what you gotta do!! The next big night is Saturday!! I'm praying already!!

No comments: