We were over at Melinda's yesterday visiting her and Kaden, her son. My little monkey was getting tired, so I had him in my arms where he promptly fell asleep. He'd been playing hard, so he was out hard and fast. Not usual for him. Typically, we snuggle for a few minutes with the bink and blanket while we are rocking. Then I lay him down before he is asleep, so he can soothe himself to sleep. Like everything tells you to do, so they don't get use to falling asleep in your arms and can put themselves to sleep on their own. It usually works pretty well, and we don't have to go in again. Unless the stinking bink falls out of his mouth and he still is awake enough to want it and then we end up back in there before he gets into an all out fuss (this is a whole other issue in and of itself).
Needless to say, it'd been a while since I'd let myself hold him in my arms and watch the peaceful drift into the land of sweet dreams. We were quietly giggling over his sleepy smiles (you know, the ones they do as they are falling asleep that you thought were the best thing since sliced bread when their a newborn because it's a glimpse into the future of real everyday smiles). His little head was starting to get heavy and his neck was relaxing. Then his little mouth fell open, and he looked so peaceful.
Mel asked me if I ever hold him while he's sleeping. Nope, I always put him down. "Do you ever cheat?", she asked. No I answered, but thought to myself, how unfortunate that is. To miss all of what I'd just described not to mention the feeling of having the joy of your life snuggled in your arms fast asleep. I decided it wouldn't hurt to break habit every once in a while. These moments will be gone before long, and I'll never be able to get them back.
So this morning I cheated. I snuggled my little monkey in and let him drift away in my arms. Then we stayed snuggled in and took a nap together. We both woke up with smiles on our faces!! Bliss!!! One time I'm proud to admit that I don't feel guilty for cheating!!
1 comment:
I miss those days. Cheat once for me, please!
Post a Comment