Thursday, January 14, 2010

Escape Artist

It happened. The dreaded crib escape. You are a climber, a dare devil. Always have been. Why wouldn't we think you would be the one to figure it out. You had climbed out a few times in the last few months, but we assumed we still had some time before the big boy bed be initiated.

Rewind to last Thursday night. I woke to you shrieking at 12:30. Like blood curdling screams. When I got out of our room, I found the light from your bedroom shining down the hallway and you standing at your brother's door screaming "Mommy, Mommy". You were terrified. It broke my heart. You had fun though. There were toys out in the living room. Books spread out all over your bedroom. You found the can of air freshener and decided the ENTIRE front of your dresser needed sprayed.....so much so that it was dripping off the front on to the carpet. Thank goodness you didn't get into the jar of Vaseline too. We cleaned everything up and then we sang "Twinkle, Twinkle" until you drifted off to sleep.

The next 3 days you got out of bed after every nap and every morning. (Oh did I tell you that your Daddy left for work Friday afternoon, so it was my battle to fight with only his reinforcement via telephone.) So Monday night I turned your crib into the toddler bed. You thought it was pretty cool.

What you thought was even cooler was that you could get out of it and run around the room after the door was closed......until you realized I wasn't coming back to play. Then you started into your crying jag. And cry you did bc I forgot to mention that I put one of those door knob safety thingymibobs on to keep you from opening your door and running amok throughout the house. I was envisioning very scary things that you could get into while I was in slumberland and you were "playing" in the house. I shutter to think the thought.

Fast forward to Thursday night. Mommy was beyond frustrated, exhausted, and desperate for a less drama at bedtime. I was minus my partner-in-crime, aka. Daddy, and was, honestly, at my wits end with the bedtime battle. I think you were pretty frustrated and confused to. So to confuse you more (i'm so, so very sorry baby) I got out the Allen wrench and took the spring platform off your bed. I then reinstalled the front part of your crib to make it back into a "crib". Then I shoved your mattress back in, but it now rested on the floor (bc the springs were gone)....creating about 6 more inches between you and the ability to climb out.

I brought you in to look and your "new bed" for the second time this week (once again I'm so very sorry for the confusion), and you were rather upset that I couldn't get in with you now (you see, your toddler bed had become the new bedtime story place and I had cuddled with you for a while on two separate occasions where you were so worked up and crying you could barely breath :(

Needless to say we got everything worked out and bedtime last night and tonight have been way less dramatic than the previous 3 nights. Again baby, I'm so, so sorry for all the crazy bed confusion. I never wanted it to happen this way. The transition to big boy bed was suppose to be cool and fun not crazy and abrupt. I guess that's one the reasons I call you Monkey, huh. We needed your Daddy. He always seems to have the good ideas (hence, the take out the springs...yep the idea came from the man himself). He's so much better at bedtime with you than me! Hopefully this will buy us some time until he gets home. Please don't sprout a tail that will launch you out of this bed. I don't know what we'll do. Here's to less tears (both me and you) and more sand from the sandman!

Love you!

No comments: