I'm not quite sure where or when we went wrong with bedtime Monkey. Was it us? Or was it just you starting a new stage? I don't even remember when this all started. I just know it has been going on for a REALLY long time. Maybe it was when your brother was born. I can't even remember if it was going on before that or not.....something tells me it was.
It's really sad to me because I had always thought bedtime was suppose to be sweet and wonderful. Full of bedtime stories, singing songs, kisses, cuddles, and sweet good nights. I guess it was this way for a while. But. Something. Happened. Something really happened to send you into a tizzy every single night. EVERY. NIGHT. We don't get one night here and there that is sweet. Every night is a battle.
We have the same routine every night. Jams on. Brush teeth. Say prayers. Read books with blanket and Zeba in the chair. Give kisses (if you haven't already started to buck and twist). Turn out the lights. Into bed (this is where the battle begins). Sing Twinkle Star (usually while you are crying because you know what is to come). I stand at the door and sing My Bonny and Twinkle Star again (both are interrupted because I have to tell you multiple times to lay down and stop crying). Lately I have just kept the door cracked when I step out, but it doesn't really matter. You still scream and cry at the top of your lungs. You will throw Zeba or blanket out and then cry for us to return them to you. I could go on and on about the drama that unfolds over and over again.
We have tried everything (we think). We've tried sitting in there with you. We've tried standing at the door. We've tried just shutting the door. We've tried being nice and sympathetic. We've tried being ugly and stern. We've tried music and night lights. We've tried special blankets and buddies. Even your McQueen and Mater cars have graced your bedtime routine. Nothing works.
I don't know what to do Monkey. It's frustrating and exhausting. I don't like to admit it, but I dread bedtime. It's no fun for us either. We don't like hearing you cry and scream. We don't like it one bit. When does this phase end? I'm so ready to be done with bedtime battles. Aren't you?
No comments:
Post a Comment