Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Thanks but no thanks Uncle Sam

So my husband and I had our taxes done yesterday......which is never a fun day in our book because we always ended up shelling out money. This year being no different than the last except that the amount of money we have to pay the federal government is ridiculous!!! It is nearly double what we paid last year. We get penalized because we "make too much money". Give me a flippin' break!!!! What congress doesn't factor into that "make too much money" category is the fact that what it costs for our family to live here in Alaska is a heck of a lot more than what is takes for say all of my family back in the good ole' Heartland. My brother (who lives in Omaha, NE) and I have the same size house (although his older), and it cost us $100,000 more. I don't get to claim my student loan interest because yep, u guessed it....we "make too much money". And we were told that next year if our income stays the same we don't even get to claim our sweetheart of a son. How ridiculous is that? I think the income levels need to be reevaluated. What used to be a lot of money in this country is no longer. The cost of living continues to increase, and we never see a break for it. Ugh, just frustrated with our system. I know I should be lucky to live where I live.....I am....don't get me wrong. Just entitled to my frustrations and opinions. That's also the beauty of living where we live.

No comments: