Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Bye Mommy

We were just playing outside when the raindrops, again, started to fall. Our little neighbor boy asked if you wanted to come play at his house, and you promptly turned to me and said "bye Mommy".

I think my breath caught in my throat. All of a sudden I realized that you were growing up too fast. I mean I knew you were growing up and the time was flying, but it all rushed in on me like a fast moving tunnel of water.

After I made sure to remind you to listen to Mr. Jason and told you I loved you (you'd think I never let you out of my site...that you never were across the street with Mason and Carson), you scampered off. Rainboots on. Umbrella over your head. You turned half way up the driveway and said again "bye Mommy" as if you knew I needed to hear your sweet little voice.

And then all of a sudden the raindrops started falling from my eyes.

How did you get so big? Where did my baby go? Just when I think I'm ready for you to keep growing and entering new phases, it all hits me like a monsoon storm. I watched you scuffle all the way up to their house and go inside. The whole time tears falling down my cheeks. Knowing full well I was being silly but couldn't help being caught up in the Mommy moment.

Right there, I made a promise to myself to slow down. To not get so caught up in the moment and the hub bub of life. To stop doing the dishes and give you that magic carpet ride you asked for. To pull out the play doh and finger paints that have been sitting unopened since June. To make another rock pile and race your monster trucks until we have dusty bums and dirt caked under our fingernails. To let dinner wait and watch you race round and round on your tractor because you said "Mommy want to watch me"!

You humble me Gabe. Just the littlest of moments. You stopped me and made me find my breath. Just something as simple as that made me get all mommamotional. Stay little a little longer. I enjoy it too much for it to go so fast!

2 comments:

amanda said...

here's to slowing down and breathing it in!

Lisa said...

mommamotional? that might be my new favorite word.
he is getting too big too quick. they all are, aren't they?
almost makes me think about a 4th. Almost....but not quite ;)