Monkey and I fly back home to Iowa tonight for a two and half week visit! I can't wait to see my family and friends. I haven't been back for 4th of July in 5 years. I can't wait to watch the big firework shows and see them light up under a pitch black sky. I miss that about 4th of July up here. The sun is always illuminating the sky here in the summer, so fireworks don't pack the same punch. Growing up, 4th of July, created some of my fondest memories. I'm ready for my Aunt Kathy and Uncle Paul's picnic/pool party. All the cousins running around and laughing until your belly hurts at my goofy aunts. Fun times!
My best friend turns 30 while I'm back! I can't wait to celebrate her golden birthday with her. I'm ready to snuggle her girls and give her the much overdue hug and kiss that she deserves. You see, life hasn't been exactly fair to her lately, and it has absolutely killed me to be so far away from her during these times. I'm ready to kick back one evening out by her parent's pool and just chat it up like old times. We need our girl bonding session desperately!
We get to meet my brand new nephew when we are back home! Another I get to snuggle on! Another fellow Mommy who needs that other Mommy bonding. She called me last night in tears because she didn't think she was being a good enough Mommy. Oh, how I remember feeling those emotions. They are still so raw in my memory! I can't wait to watch my brother father his baby son! Brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it!
I can't wait to sit and giggle with my baby sister! We were never super close growing up because we're 4 years apart. But adulthood has brought a new and wonderful closeness to us. She has blossomed into this amazing, kindhearted woman. The Navy has brought her man home to her and life has stopped throwing her black clouds to rain on her parade. She has a new addition in her life too.....a Shih Tzu named Mac!! He looks like a little black bear! She spoils my Monkey rotten, and he lights up when she is around.
I'm ready more than anything to see my Mom and Dad! To give them that Grandparent time that they miss out on. The webcam only does so much!! It's wonderful to have that technology to allow us to see one another. The only thing it lacks is the sense of touch and smell! Nothing like snuggling up to your grandbaby, and my Mom misses that too much! I'm ready to be spoiled too!
My husband once asked me not long after we got married why I continue to call it "home" because it's not my home anymore he said. I told him it will always be home. It may not be where I live anymore, but it's where I spent 26 years of my life. It's where everyone I know and love from those memories resides. It's not that this isn't home because it is. I'm just lucky enough to have two "homes". This is my home now. It's where I've started my own family with new memories to build. But Iowa will always be my roots. I was lucky enough to have parents who gave me wings to fly and fly I did! Further than my Mom ever imagined. She would probably take those wings back if she'd known now how far away they were going to take me. The neat thing about wings though is they can take you right back where you came from. Tonight, my wings are going to take Monkey and I back to the Heartland!!
Godspeed ahead!!
No comments:
Post a Comment