
No this isn't intended to be a beautiful picture of our snow capped mountains in the fall. This is a gloomy picture of the Chugach Mountain range YESTERDAY!!! Are you freaking kidding me???? Termination dust (what we Alaskans call the first snow of the season) on July 23rd. We haven't even had a summer yet. The paper said today that we are on track to have the coldest summer ever.....yes I did say ever!!
I can believe it since the temperature at my house this morning at 10:00 was 48 degrees...brrrr! My puppies were curled up like little cocoons on the deck! I knew it wasn't a good sign when I got home from vacation a week and a half ago and the fireweed was already blooming....ugh!! Beautiful it is but an ominous sign of winter to come and too early at that.
To blame for all of this, La Nina. The seas are 2-4 degrees cooler down in Peru in the South Pacific. Crazy to think that it effects us clear up here in the very far Northern Hemisphere. La Nina is probably going to cause more days of temperatures below 65 degrees than has ever been recorded in Alaska. Not to mention the fact that it's going to cause me to probably go crazy. It's been raining so many days in a row that I don't even remember the last day we had sunshine. Monkey and I finally had to get out so bad the other day that we went for a stroller walk in the sprinkles.
The only bright spot in all of this is that we're suppose to have above normal temperatures from October through December. I guessing it won't be the Indian Summer that I'm used to from back home though. Where is El Nino when you need it??
1 comment:
Yep - that stinks. No other way to say it!
Maybe you should come home again for another taste of summer?!? ;)
Post a Comment