I stumbled upon a parent blog, Babble, one day and found it interesting enough to sign up for their Daily Babble emails. I usually find one of their daily topics to be of interest to me. Ironically enough, they usually deal with something I'm doing or pondering. Today being one of those days.
Their topic is breastfeeding and watching TV. The writer received the monthly newsletter from Babycenter.com as do I, and it mentioned that we should only have eyes for our babies while breastfeeding. To not succumb to the distractions around us. Funny enough, I had been having one of those guilty mom moments yesterday as I was catching up on "The Bachelor" (thanks to my DVR). As I was fast forwarding through the commercials (I love being able to do this), I was thinking I was maybe doing my little man a disservice by not paying full attention to him while he was feeding. Even though he was caught somewhere between reality and a milk-induced coma. Probably could have cared less if I was singing to him or dancing on my head. I don't know about you, but that is when I get caught up on some of my phone calls and "American Idol". Don't get me wrong, not every time we are feeding do I busy myself with something else besides my son. But when my little man can eat every 2 hours during the day, this would call for alot of cooing, singing, rhyming, and jabbering to him. Sometimes he likes to eat in peace without his Momma in his face I think.
I cherish these booby moments, but also, realize that all of us are human. I figure I'm not going to permanently damage my son's development by watching a little "American Idol" while he's snacking. Besides, there's music in the background....that's intellectual, right? Although, I don't know if Paula Abdul is that intellectual....now just kidding! At least the article put my guilty mind at ease. I can rest easier knowing that chatting with my best friend or watching a little boob tube isn't the end of the world.
No comments:
Post a Comment